The Short Fence Gundog Scurry is as simple as the name suggests. A skill often overlooked in other gundog scurries is the ability to leap over fences or into pens, which is an essential part of any gundogs repertoire. The very nature of the land over which game shoots are often situated means that it is highly unusual for a dog to work on a shoot where there are no fences of any kind. Stock fences, sheep hurdles, partridge pens and all manner of other obstacles await. There is not a Gun in the land who can honestly profess the ability to drop a bird precisely where he or she intends, not without at least the hint of a wry smile creeping across their face!
Out in the field, some of the obstacles faced can be quite difficult, and in some instances even dangerous to scale. However, the Short Fence Gundog Scurry is merely a fun representation, and is achievable by gundogs of all breeds and skill levels. It has been introduced along with the Hopping Hare Gundog Scurry in place of some of our more complicated gundog scurries. These often favoured more experienced dogs, however an important feature of all of the Kelmarsh Show gundog scurries is that all handlers are given a fair and genuine chance of winning prizes, whether your dog is a seasoned competitor, or entering it’s first ever gundog scurry.
This fast and furious gundog scurry is similar to the Long Retrieve Gundog Scurry, but we have added a small fence midway for your dog to jump. A dummy will be launched from a dummy launcher and will land the other side of a low fence. Your dog must retrieve the dummy, jumping the fence on both the outward and inward journey.
Short Fence Gundog Scurry Prizes (On Each Day of the Event):
1st Place – £50 cash
2nd Place – £30 cash
3rd Place – £15 cash
Junior Winner – Goody Bag from Muntjac Trading
Short Fence Gundog Scurry Rules
- A single dummy will be fired from a static dummy launcher, which fires a Rimfire blank
- The dog must be sat unrestrained, off the lead in the marked box area any dog that runs in will be disqualified
- Send your dog only when the timekeeper tells you to, the Clock will start when the dog crosses the line, any dog that runs in will be disqualified
- At no time is the dog allowed to return to the box and be resent, this is a disqualification
- The dummy must be delivered to hand and all four paws in the marked box area before the clock will be stopped
- There is a two minute time limit
- The dog that retrieves the dummy in the fastest time wins
- If your dog leaves the scurry arena it’s a disqualification
- No bitches to be run in season
- The judges decision is final.
- Re-entry is permitted
- Any challenges to a decision needs to be made immediately after your run to the Gundog Organiser. Decisions cannot be altered after this.
** All dogs and owners are entered at their own risk.